A Thanksgiving List

 It is the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend in our area, and we had a delightful early dinner with family to accommodate working hours of family members. I've been reminded of a Thanksgiving Challenge that was given to me many years ago. 

It was the spring of 1975, filled with many happy expectations and unplanned and unpleasant events. My mother succumbed to her rapid developing illness before her 65th birthday, and my husband was hospitalized because of an propane explosion at our new home under construction on our acreage. On one occasions, when sitting with my husband in the hospital, our pastor came for a visit. In our conversation, he suggested that I could make a list of all the things that happened that month which  I was thankful for. I didn't take the suggestion seriously and thought that he had no idea of what we were going through. I tried to dismiss the suggestion but it kept coming back to my mind. I had time to write something down when hubby was resting ... it would help pass the time. To this day, I can still recall most of what was in that list. So much more happens in our lives that we don't even think that we need to be thankful for... it just happens!

Here is most of my list:

My mother suffered intensely, even in the short number of weeks in the hospital, and she was relieved of that pain in the quiet hours, knowing that she was loved by her family.

It was early April; spring had arrived and the snow was gone. However, the day of the accident, a blanket of snow had arrived early in the day, and my hubby had wet snow to roll in when his clothes were on fire. A much better alternative than rolling in dead grass and dirt.

Carpet installers were still working, several hours after quitting time, and they were able to transport hubby to hospital. At that time, there were no cell phones and no neighbors living in the community.

A working collegue was also building a house near us, and he happened to  stop by just as workers were leaving for the hospital. The collegue knew how to contact me and pick up our children from their new school.

An older couple living in a community many miles from us, dropped by one evening with a box of homemade cookies, especially for our children's lunchboxes, intended to substitute the cookies that I didn't have time to make. They declined my invitation to come in, just wanted to make sure I was home safely. That's unexpected kindness.

We were scheduled to move into our new house a week after the accident, and our rental home needed to be vacated. A group of ladies announced that they would be at my place to pack up our belonging while I continued to be at the hospital. When they were done, friends with trucks came and moved our belongings to our new home... and they helped to unpack and set up our new home. 

My father moved in with me and our children to help until hubby was discharged from the hospital.

It was estimated that hubby would be in hospital at least three months, but his healing was so dramatic (didn't even require skin grafting on second and third degree burns), and was discharged home in three weeks. 

Both hubby and I have always been very independent people, with an attitude of "Thank you very much, but we can do it ourselves!". This whole experience taught us the value of friends, the personal need of believing in a High Power, and the peace of heart and mind that we can have. 

We have said many times, we have been so thankful for that whole experience, and if needed, we would go though it all again. It changed our perspective in many things. Thanksgiving is not only one day a year, and can be celebrated every day. A great reminder!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve Done It… And We’re Still Here!

It’s All About the 3C’s …

Time Out For The Hooker ...