Loving Life Laced with Laughter

When was the last time that you had a real good, noisy “belly” laugh? For the ladies, that may be a bit of a stretch, so call it something else. Call it uncontrolled laughter, that keeps sneaking back to your head, and then starts all over again. We had a bunch of at the 55th Class Reunion of my nursing class. Old 'nursing' stories are still funny... if we have the nerve to tell them to our 'non-nursing' friends.

I love to have fun, help put a smile on someone’s face, and at times, just be silly! There are a few things on my page where my “personality” has leaked out. But I must ask, “Who thinks that the entertainment of today is better than “the good old days”? There were 'comics' in our much younger days who didn’t have to say anything, and we would laugh. Their facial expressions were priceless. Some that come to mind are Tim Conway, Red Skelton, Lucille Ball, Bob Hope, and Lily Tomlin. I remember standing with school friends at the window of the local lumber yard to watch Lucy on the TV set in the window (we never had a TV in our home), and even without sound, we were often in hysterics. After I was married, there were programs that my husband and I rarely missed; Carol Burnett Show, Ed Sullivan Show, and the now “politically incorrect” All In The Family, were just a few. Now, it seems almost manditory that comedy routines have to include ‘four-letter’ words (aka ‘bathroom words’) to be considered funny. Give me a break!

I just celebrated my 80th year on this planet. To me, that doesn’t seem like such a long time; time goes so quickly. It’s our 56+ year old son and our 24-year-old granddaughter who remind me that I’m still “not over the Hill” but getting close to it. My dear mother passed away in her 65th year and I thought she was an old lady! Now, what does that make me? No need to e-mail your answer to me!!!!

Some time ago, I read a couple of books by Phil Callaway, who grew up in the town where I had my first job as a registered nurse. I heard him speak at a special event at the church we attended, and I loved his sense of humour. Even though he did plant some wonderful thoughts in his presentation, he was able to do it in such a way, that made it easy to remember for a long time. The first book I read was, “Who Put The Skunk In The Trunk? Learning to Laugh When Life Stinks”. I also read the revised version, entitled “Laughing Matters”. One more is “Who Put My Life on Fast-Forward? How to slow Down & Start Living Again”. If I could find those books now, I think they would be good reading, considering the present state of our world. They may be available on Amazon. His books are filled with “Wrinkle Busters”, and if any of my readers have a few wrinkles, I close with several samples...

Classified ad:

“An unexpected vacancy for a knife-thrower’s assistant:
Rehersals start immediately.”
..........

Newspaper ad: “Extremely independent male, 17 years old,
Needs to rent room. Call his mother as ....”
..........

Advertisement: “Try our cough syrup,
You will never get any better.”
..........

Child to mother after school,
“Our new teacher taught us all about fossils.
Before she came to class, I didn’t know what a fossil looked like.”
..........

*Updated

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve Done It… And We’re Still Here!

It’s All About the 3C’s …

Time Out For The Hooker ...