What Was I Thinking?

Well, I did it! You would think that if I was going to make a spectacle of myself, I would do it in some deserted corner of town where there would be no witnesses. But no, I did it right in front of the shop that I had just left. I had even asked the clerk to put my purchases in a small bag so that I wouldn’t drop any of it when trying to unlock the door of my vehicle.

Last Friday was a great day, especially after the piles of snow that we were gifted with a couple of weeks ago. The roads were clear and I had a list of things on my ‘To Do’ List, and my husband was pleased that he could stay at home instead of waiting for me. He knows that when we get to town, I will stop and talk to anyone who looks familiar when I am shopping.

The routine for the day was to first head to the city for an appointment and fill our van with gas (at a cheaper price than in our town). Next, I would take the north highway to our favorite town, purchase groceries, replenish items in my pantry at Bulk Foods, buy black thread at the Dollar Store so that I can repair my slacks, and drop by for a coffee at Tim Horton’s before heading home.

It didn’t quite work out as planned. Two more items on my list were left, and I was ready to head for home. I had parked the van in the ‘Handicapped’ zone in front of the shop, so I decided to put my purchases in the van, and then walk several doors down to the Dollar Store. What happened next escapes me, but I fell face down beside my parked van. My glasses were not damaged but I had a cut above my eye that was producing a lot of blood. They think that my face landed on a stone on the pavement. Before I could figure out if I was hurt, and if I was, how would I get myself back on my feet, I heard some voices around me. It seemed that half the town was there, trying to help this poor lady who had fallen. I wondered who she was… then realized that the poor lady was me! I was hoping that I could ask somebody to help me get to my feet and get into my vehicle. A kind gentleman was the first to speak to me, asking if I needed help. Was it that obvious? Then two ladies came with wet paper towels to apply to the cut and clean the blood off my face and hands. The cashier from the shop smiled and asked if I had planned the fall when I had asked her to put my purchases in a bag. Small town people are always helpful and also lots of fun!

When I finally got back in my van, I tried to gather my thoughts as to what to do next. I was about 20 miles from home and on my own. I read my ‘To Do’ List, then drove two blocks to Tim Horton’s for a coffee. Coffee will fix my headache, and some ‘sit-down’ time would give me time to think.

The traffic was normal on the way home.

My favorite recliner will be occupied this weekend by the poor lady who missed a step… I think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve Done It… And We’re Still Here!

It’s All About the 3C’s …

Time Out For The Hooker ...