Cyber Friendships

My weekend was wonderful … the weather was ‘ify’ and I was happy to stay home. The housework was done, I don’t have a garden, and I’m feeling quite well. I’ve missed so much of what has been happening with my friends here on The Hill, so I spent much of the day, sending private messages to those who are on my list of friends. I discovered that a number of my long-term friends have not been on The Hill for almost a year. I do know that one of them had been very ill, and I’m wondering how she is or if she survived her physical challenges.

All of this activity has got me thinking about the cyber friendships that we make here, even though we probably will never meet them in person. How do we decide who we would enjoy meeting and getting to know, and do we accept every invitation to join someone else’s group of friends? I registered on NOTH only weeks after it was launched, and have enjoyed many wonderful friendships. I’ve also made some errors along the way. Having been a staff helper for much of that time, I learned a lot about how this social network is managed, with the goal of it being a safe and fun experience for those who have joined. But I also have the responsibility to be informed about who and what I share with others. I read their profile page to find out their interests, their hobbies, and anything else they have posted when they registered. If I read something that may be of interest, send a private message and ask questions. If I am invited to join a group of friends, and the profile is available only to their friends, I decline the invitation. Why would I open up to someone that I have no information from them? How would I respond to a neighbor who moved next door or down the street from me? Would they automatically become my friend without learning something about them first?

Several days ago, I had a conversation with someone who told me that it didn’t matter if someone was telling the truth or posting some lies on their profile. I was also challenged because I had the nerve to ask some questions, like what is your first name. I’m wondering what attracted members to The Hill in the first place? Was it recommended to them, was it to interact with other “seniors”, learn new computer skills, or was it to promote their own experiences. This is an international network and I have learned so many things from people who live in locations that I will never have the opportunity to visit.

I hope I haven’t stepped on too many toes with this blog. I’ve been absent from The Hill for a time, not always by choice but by circumstances. I enjoyed my “interactions” with friends today, receiving wonderful responses to my messages. I had to relearn several things that I used to know how to do on my profile page but forgot. “Use it or lose it” still applies! I wandered around The Hill and read many profile pages, catching up on the seasonal decorations and new interests, and enjoying many photographs.

It is with my appreciation that I thank TC and EB, the originators and owners of NOTH, and applaud Staff Member Diane, aka ‘Altara’ for her helpful tenacity and knowledge in an attempt to keep this pleasant network running smoothly.

Comments

  1. I think they have done an excellent job. I have not been a member long but have enjoyed it. It has given me an opportunity to experiment with my new hobby of blogging. I never tried writing before and retirement has given me the time to write down some giggles and wisdom I would like to pass along. Blogging gives me that opportunity. NOTH is an excellent place to do just that. Learning the computer skills is my down fall. I am still working on that one. I love your blog spot. I will make a shot cut to it for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve Done It… And We’re Still Here!

It’s All About the 3C’s …

Time Out For The Hooker ...