Our Self-Imposed Isolation

I have a question! Has Spring arrived at your location? OK, we live in different areas, some even in the southern hemisphere, so you can tell me what season you are enjoying. The one thing that we do have in common is the world-wide pandemic. Perhaps I should ask if the pandemic has arrived in your neighborhood. Do you have a family member, a neighbor, a co-worker who has been diagnosed with coronavirus? If you have been separated from your family or living alone, how are you spending your day? Are you content, thankful, bored, or lonesome? Has your home ever been as clean as it is this month?

As of this week, my husband has not left our property, has not been in a vehicle, and spends hours every day in his shop. I have dropped by several times, and he tells me that he is cleaning, repairing, building and organizing his ‘stuff’, and probably even having an occasional nap. There is music playing in the background, and he tells me that he is content. After his health challenges last summer, his heart and mind is filled with thankful thoughts.

As for me, I have made two trips to the mailbox (a 3-mile round trip), and one trip to our town to pick up my husband’s next month’s supply of prescription drugs. I experienced ‘curb-side’ service from the pharmacy, and I toured town to see what was happening. I didn’t need to buy gas for my vehicle, there was no point in getting a car wash because we were expecting more snow, and I didn’t need any toilet paper. I didn’t even stop to have a coffee at Tim Horton’s. Our deep-freeze and pantry are well stocked, thanks to our son’s bi-weekly shopping trips. It is probably the only time I have made a round-trip to town without getting out of my vehicle.

When I’m home I do a bit of cooking, a bit of cleaning, a bit of organizing and re-organizing cupboards and storage space… and I talk on the phone, write long emails, short text messages, and find any other excuse to stay on my computer. I have been a computer ‘nerd’ for many years… why change now??!!

I was reminded by another ‘blogger’ that words are powerful. It was a great reminder that if our physical condition prevents us from being an active volunteer, if our location in not main stream, and if our family is far away, we still can use words to encourage, to give comfort, to reconnect with friends and neighbors, and to worship with thankful hearts.

We are not alone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We’ve Done It… And We’re Still Here!

It’s All About the 3C’s …

Time Out For The Hooker ...